1. Choose Green Products: Look for EPA-certified "Design for the Environment" DfE label.
Benefit: Safer products reduce water pollution
2. Use the Right Prop: Allows your engine to reach its designed wide-open-throttle RPM.
Benefit: Reduces fuel consumption & improves performance
3. Don't Push Water: Install and use trim tabs or hydrofoils.
Benefit: Improves boat performance & fuel consumption
4. Keep the Bilge Clean: Avoid accidental discharge of oily water by using a sorbent in each bilge area. Benefit: Reduces water pollution
5. Retire that 2 Stroke Outboard: Modern 4-stroke outboard reduces noise, fumes, fuel consumption, and pollution. For an even quieter ride, try an electric outboard.
Benefit: Save on gas and water pollution
6. Recycle your Lead-Acid Batteries:12V batteries are the most recycled products in the world. Benefit: Save money & conserve resources
7. Use an Autopilot: Modern autopilots can steer better than most helms persons.
Benefit: Reduces fuel consumption
8. Recycle your Monofiament Fishing Line: Research recycling programs near you.
9. Eat Responsibly Harvested Seafood: Chose sustainable seafood at restaurants or grocery stores to ensure fish stocks are plentiful for future generations to come.
10. Prevent Fuel Spills & Reduce Fuel Usage:
* Use or install a device to prevent overboard discharges from your tank vent
* Slower speeds on the water reduce fuel usage
* Proper use of trim tabs reduces drag
* Minimize idle time at the dock
* Minimize the use of on board generators
* Use dockside electrical power
* Have a float plan
* A well tuned engine uses less fuel